In the realm of fun activities, going to the movies is a bona fide classic. Taking in a film is the perfect thing to do for a wide range of occasions, from family afternoons out to romantic first dates! What’s not to love? The glistening buttery popcorn, the fizzy soda pop, the sweet candies, the cinematic story arcs, the relaxing dimmed lights – need we say more? Going to the movies is one of our nations greatest pastimes, and nothing, no fear should stop you from being able to enjoy the cinema in all its glory. Nine times out of ten, going to the movies is a safe bet for a wonderful time, however, trouble can occur when pesky (read: relentless) bed bugs come into the equation. These tiny creatures can wreak havoc on your life, home, and mental state and are best to be strictly avoided at all costs- seriously, all costs!
Here’s everything you need to know about bed bugs, and how to ensure you steer clear of their presence next time you take in a blockbuster:
What Exactly are Bed Bugs?
You’ve heard the classic lullaby “sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite,” but have you ever stopped to think – what are these creatures?
“Bedbugs are small, oval, brownish insects that live on the blood of animals or humans. Adult bedbugs have flat bodies about the size of an apple seed. After feeding, however, their bodies swell and are a reddish color.
Bedbugs do not fly, but they can move quickly over floors, walls, and ceilings. Female bedbugs may lay hundreds of eggs, each of which is about the size of a speck of dust, over a lifetime.
Immature bedbugs, called nymphs, shed their skins five times before reaching maturity and require a meal of blood before each shedding. Under favorable conditions the bugs can develop fully in as little as a month and produce three or more generations per year.” – Web M.D.
The signs of a bed bug infestation are as follows:
- Itchy areas on your body in the morning
- Blood stained sheets
- Fecal deposits and shed skins of bed bugs
- A musty smell
- Dark or rust-coloured areas of bed bug excrement on your bed.
How Do Bed Bugs Get in Your home?
If you find yourself wondering how bed bugs got into your precious home after an innocent trip to the movies – we have the answer. Typically, bed bugs enter the home sneakily after an afternoon at the cinema through pieces of clothing. Due to their flat bodies, they can fit into even the smallest of spaces! Therefore, it’s important that you don’t beat yourself up about bringing bed bugs into your home. At the end of the day, hygiene has nothing to do with whether or not someone has an infestation. Be forgiving with yourself and take the appropriate measures to clear them out of your space with an exterminator!
How to Avoid Bed Bugs at the Cinema
If you’re looking to catch a flick with the family and not have to find yourself overcome with the immense psychological and physical stress that bed bugs demand once they are living in your home, you’ve come to the right place.
The following tips can help you dramatically decrease your risk of falling prey to ominous bed bugs next time you take a trip to your local theatre:
- Let There Be Light: No, not during the film of course! But before you pipe down and take a seat on one of those luxurious movie theatre cushioned chairs, use your phone flashlight to carefully inspect the seating area for any telltale signs of bed bug occupancy. From those rusty-stains, shed exoskeletons, and musty smells, you’ll be able to detect whether or not there may be bed bugs hiding around, waiting to make their way into your shirt seam.
- Do Your Research: Before heading off to the movies, why not conduct a little research? We suggest doing some online searching to determine whether or not the theatre you’re attending has received complaints about bed bugs in the past. Furthermore, there’s no shame in simply phoning up the theatre and asking to speak to the manager about your concerns. After all, it is your body and mind that are at stake should you bring home any pests!
At the end of the day, you don’t have the fight the buggers on your own! At Bed Bug Exterminator Pro, we offer a wide variety of bed bug treatments with a money back guarantee! Contact our passionate team today to kick those bed bugs to the curb for good!